Published: 23 January 2015 23 January 2015
Below are some fun facts that have happened in the over years in Moraine.
During 2000, the City was selected as the site to host softball in Cincinnati's bid for the 2012 Summer Games. Also, the Olympic Torch Relay came through Moraine on it's way to Salt Lake City in January of 2002.
Moraine & the Olympics?
In January 2007, the GM plant produced its six millionth vehicle. The while the Assembly plant was under the GM name plate it produced just shy of 7 million vehicles in it’s 27 year history ….vehicles include the S-10, Trailblazer and Envoy.
Moraine Assembly Milestone
January 20, 1959, 12 inches of rain fell and Moraine was completely flooded. This was the second worst flood in the State of Ohio (out of 5). The flood was caused by an intense rain that fell on the frozen, snow-covered ground. Deaths: 16, 187 buildings & 31 bridges were destroyed. In total approx 20,000 flooded. The estimated damage was $101 million.
A Flooded Community
During the '59 flood parts of Dayton were protected by levees, and it was the Village Manger Wilbur Cotton who urged the Conservancy to build additional levees in Moraine, without the protection of the levees water levels in Dayton would have been 4 feet and 5.5 feet in Hamilton.
On February 3, the vote was 7-1 in favor of separating, 421 for 56 against. This picture has some of the first township trustees: Ora Everetts, Deward Moore, Charles Rose, Janet Mayo, Thomas Green, Harry Hastings.
Moraine Rotary Club, began as a meeting that Mayor Harold Johnson held with businesses in town; is celebrating 30 yrs in 2015. Since then the Club has raised over $400,000 for various Community Service projects such as: sponsoring youth baseball teams, providing free dictionaries to local elementary schools and sponsoring the Moraine Citizen of the Year Award. This year projects including: the Mulch Sale, Frisbee Disc Course and Student of the Month Program.
Making an Impact
In 1957 the first part of the City was annexed from Van Burren Township. Then in 1963 & 64 to the South & West were annexed from Miami Township. In 1978 the area around Frisch’s was annexed. And in 1980, a large area to the West was annexed from Jefferson Township.
Building a City
Moraine Field, established in the early 1920s, was the Dayton areas first municipal airport. Sometimes refereed as "Moraine Flying Field", the airport was located in the middle of the City near Bertwynn Road (St. Rt. 741) and Dorothy Lane. It remained the Dayton area’s municipal airport from 1925 to 1928, while the planning began for the current Dayton International Airport.
The first airport
The Moraine Messenger, once know as the Village Mirror and then Moraine Report, has been published since April 1, 1958. This remains one of the very few monthly paper newsletters that is being published in the State of Ohio.
Keeping in Contact
With the construction of I-75 thru Moraine in the 1960's, General Motors was looking for more access to the highway and in late 70's Mayor Johnson urged the State for the 741 exit ramp. This new ramp enhanced access to the GM plant and kept them in the City for another 30 years.
Enhancing Access to I-75
The homes on Blanchard Ave were originally built for executives at the assembly plant. Four of the homes between Kettering Blvd & S. Dixie Dr, comprise a historic area listed on the Ohio Historic Inventory.
The Moraine Senior Citizens Club was founded in the early 70's and originally met in basement of City Building. They currently met every Wednesday at the Gerhardt Civic Center.
Several famous visitors have stayed with Colonel Deeds to work on new inventions and ideas. As a thanks for helping with the projects, Deeds named many streets in Moraine in honor of these famous inventors: Charles Steinmetz, Marchese Marconi and Robert Fulton.
1917-1923 the Dayton-Wright Airplane produced and assembled more than 4,000 of DH-4 and Standard SJ-1 aircraft. The DH-4 was the first WWI bomber and the SJ-1 was used as training plane.
Assembly Runs Deep
The path of the Miami-Erie Canal traveled through Moraine, which is now near Dryden Road. Lock #22 is near the current intersection of Dryden Road and East River near DP&L.
Transportation in the Past
Moraine has over 13 churches; the oldest Zion Memorial which was founded in a log cabin at its present site in 1820. Not only is this the oldest in the City it's the oldest in the Dayton Region.
Remember Goodwin's Sohio? Chester Goodwin & other business owners from that era led the fight to make Moraine a City.